Best PHP Blogs To Follow
A lot of people, especially when starting out in PHP, ask me “what blogs should I read?” There are a lot of great PHP blogs (you can see a nearly complete list of them at Planet PHP) but there are a few that I read on a regular basis and I feel are important.
Here’s my list in no particular order:
- Matthew Weier O’Phinney Matthew is one of the people I respect the most in the PHP world. He’s incredibly talented and is the chief architect of the Zend Framework.
- Cal Evans Cal has been a member of the PHP community far longer than I have. He blogs less on PHP topics and more on developer topics, which is fantastic since a good PHP developer should always be a developer first.
- Chris Hartjes I may not agree with Chris on every topic but he’s a really smart guy and a great advocate of testing your code.
- Lorna Jane Mitchell Lorna Jane has a knack for taking the complex and making it seem simple. She’s an absolutely brilliant writer and well worth reading. And since she’s always doing something new, she’s always writing about neat things
- Laura Thomson A bit of a disclaimer: Laura is my boss. I’m honored to work with her and I really do think she’s fantastic. Laura has been doing software for longer than I’ve been using a computer. Laura doesn’t post on many PHP topics but she did cowrite the book on the subject and what she does write is well worth reading.
- Paul M. Jones A word of warning about Paul: his blog isn’t all about PHP, but contains PHP intermixed with his libertarian writings. That being said, he’s the developer of the Aura framework and a very talented PHP developer. I’ve linked to his PHP category, and I strongly recommend reading it. His libertarian writings are totally up to you, though.
- Anthony Ferarra If you like learning about the interals of PHP or want a chance to get some of the nitty gritty details, this is a great blog to read. I enjoy reading and watching Anthony’s videos on PHP programming topics. You’ll never come away empty handed if you want to learn something new!
- PHP Master The PHP Master blog is a collection of posts from members of the community that are high quality, timely and on important subjects. It’s a great resource to follow to learn what’s happening in the PHP world on a regular basis.
- PHPDeveloper.org Looking for a comprehensive list of the best in PHP blogging? This blog is curated by Chris Cornutt, and he posts only the best in PHP content. It’s a great place to get a quick summary of what’s new in the PHP world, and you can click through to the stuff that’s interesting to you.
Who do you feel is indispensable for reading online?
Write better object oriented PHP today.
Object oriented programming always leaves you with a headache. What if you could master it instead?Get the book now! »